What happens when you combine your love of cheesecake with your love of carrot cake? You get a cheesecake swirled carrot cake. I admit, especially around Easter time, I cannot pass up carrot cake (and specifically cream cheese frosting) so why not turn the cream cheese into cheesecake instead? That is the best of both worlds! Plus with the addition of the sweet spiced white chocolate M&M’s I knew I would a have a winning dessert.
I was right.
The first thing I did was get on the internet and started searching for recipes (since I know the Cheesecake Factory has a Carrot Cake Cheesecake.) But what I found seemed like a LOT of work. Step 1: make a carrot cake batter. Step 2: make a cheesecake batter Step 3: Mix them together and bake for an eternity.
No thanks, I’m a busy mom. I have stuff to do today. So instead I came up with a quick and easy hack:
Use a store bought carrot cake cake mix and shave off half the prep time! GENIUS!
The end result was wonderful:
Here is my simplified recipe:
Prepare a store bought carrot mix, but only include 2/3 of the suggested wet ingredients. In this case my boxed mix required 2 eggs, 2/3 cup oil and 1 cup water. I used 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup water.
Next prepare the cheesecake component. Combine all the ingredients except the M&M’s
I then sorted out all the white candies (so I didn’t have food color swirls in my cheesecake. This is purely aesthetic. If you don’t mind orange and green cheesecake, you wouldn’t have to sort them)
I crushed them up and added them to the cheesecake batter:
Next you want to layer you cake batter on the bottom of a greased springform pan (to form the crust) and then a layer of cheesecake batter, then “blobs” of cake batter. Don’t mix or swirl the batters together, they will mix on their own since the cake will rise but the cheesecake won’t. Finish with a solid layer of cheesecake batter (the carrot cake will pop through during baking.)Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. The center may still be slightly “jiggly” but that is okay.
While the cake is cooling (and you have finished your chocolate binge) prepare the frosting (this actually may be overkill, but at this point it was GO BIG OR GO HOME!)
My frosting was more like a glaze since I added exactly 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. But you can thicken it up further if you want it more like frosting. I added the green and orange remaining M&M’s to the center and it was time to dig in.
Isn’t it beautiful how it layered? And unlike traditional cheesecake, there was no hassle forming the graham cracker crust since the cake forms it’s own:
Plus through out the cheesecake itself there are swirls of the white chocolate from the melted crushed M&M’s. Sooo good!
I think I know what you should serve as dessert after Easter dinner!
White Chocolate Cheesecake Swirled Carrot Cake
Enjoy a decadent dessert of carrot cake with rich layers of white cheesecake running through it. This recipe is easy to prepare using boxed cake mix, but pay attention to the ingredient ratios so you don't make the batter too wet!
- Carrot Cake Component:
- 1 Box Carrot Cake Mix (Prepared per package instructions**)
- **USE ONLY 2/3 of the liquid ingredients! (this is important or your batter will be too wet)
- Cheesecake Component:
- 2 (8-ounces each) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t flour
- 1 t vanilla (I used mexican vanilla to accent the spices in the cake component)
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/3 bag (white only) White Chocolate M&Ms
- 3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tb butter
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 Tb sour cream
- Remaining M&M’s to garnish
- Step 1 Prepare cake mix but use LESS LIQUID (About 2/3 the suggested amounts). You want it to be slightly “doughy” and not as pourable as standard cake batter.
- Step 2 In a separate bowl combine all ingredients for cheesecake
- Step 3 Spray baking pan with nonstick spray
- Step 4 Layer 2/3 of cheesecake batter at bottom of pan, add layer of cheesecake batter on top, then add remaining cake batter in “blobs” on top. Don’t swirl them together, the rising cake batter will create the swirls on its own
- Step 5 Bake at 350 for 1-1 1/2 hours or until toothpick comes out clean
- Step 6 Prepare frosting glaze (if desired)
- Step 7 Pour over cooled cheesecake and top with M&Ms