I’m excited to bring you today’s recipe as part of the Ultimate Recipe Challenge. This challenge is where a group of bloggers is challenged to come up with a recipe using a specific ingredient. This month, the challenge ingredient happened to be TOMATOES!
This is a meaty alternative to the Vegetarian 4 Bean Chili I have shared before, and it is slightly spicier (but not too hot.. my kids still eat it!)
Seriously, aside from browning the ground beef, it is not much more than dumping ingredients into a crock pot and opening it a few hours later to pure deliciousness! Using the slow cooker allows for the flavors to really meld and the tomato juice in lieu of water gives it a rich full tomato flavor, perfect for this challenge ingredient.
I served it with both shredded cheese and sour cream (the cool sour cream tempers the spice!)
Slow Cooker Chili with Ranch Style Beans
A quick and hearty beef and bean chili with a touch of heat thanks to the addition of RoTel tomatoes and ranch style beans. A perfect chili dog chili!
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can rotel tomatoes
- 2 c water or tomato juice
- 1 can ranch-style beans
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cajun seasoning
- Step 1 Brown onion and ground beef
- Step 2 Add to slow cooker along with all other ingredients
- Step 3 Stir and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4
- Step 4 Add additional liquid (water or juice) if mixture is too thick
- Step 5 Serve with sour cream, cheese or crackers