I am always focusing on EASY and KID FRIENDLY meal ideas, but I also don’t want to sacrifice on adult flavors and this Chili Lime Chicken Tacos recipe is the perfect balance..
Tender pulled chicken cooked in the crock pot with a chili lime marinade, topped with some sweet and (not overly) spicy citrus salsa and a few cilantro leaves, my kids thought it was delicious. They especially love how you I set it up “build you own” style, so they could have as much or as little as they wanted.
The secret to the recipe is MILD green chilis and taco sauce, mixed with fresh squeezed lime juice and red wine vinegar.
Some chopped onions and a few spices round out the mix.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs if you prefer) cook down in the marinade until it is tender and able to be pulled apart with a fork.
Top the chicken with salsa that has been kicked up with some fresh citrus and diced red onion, for the perfect sweet yet spicy bite.
I served the tacos street style, in tiny 4 inch tortillas, although this chicken would also be great in a burrito or crispy taco. The chicken also reheats beautifully which makes it a perfect recipe to scale up and use for leftovers in enchiladas or on salads.
Making quick and easy meals that kids will eat doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor, and these amazing, delicious, acidic yet only mildly spicy tacos are proof.
Slow Cooker Chili Lime Chicken Tacos
Tender pulled chicken marinated in chili lime salsa and cooked in the slow cooker is served street taco style and topped with citrus salsa and cilantro.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- Corn tortillas
- Cotija cheese
- 1/2 c lime juice
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/4 c Taco Sauce
- 1/2 c red wine vinegar
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp mild green chilis
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- Zest of one lime
- 1 Jar Salsa
- 1/2 cup fresh orange segments chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- Step 1 Spray crock pot with nonstick cooking spray and add chicken breasts.
- Step 2 Combine marinade ingredients and pour over chicken
- Step 3 Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Step 4 Remove chicken breasts and shred with two forks.
- Step 5 Combine salsa ingredients and set aside.
- Step 6 Add Chicken to tortilla, top with a spoonfull of salsa, a few leaves of cilantro and cotija cheese.
- Step 7 Chicken can also be frozen after shredding and reheated later.